|Game Name||Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning|
|Original US Release||Feb. 7, 2012|
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a large scale RPG being developed by Big Huge Games & 38 Studios. Its gameplay has been touted by its creators and previewers as a hybrid between God of War and Oblivion, with a fully explorable open world and combo-driven melee.
At the core of Reckoning's gameplay is the "Destiny" system that allows players to mix & match abilities from the three stereotypical RPG skillsets of warrior, rogue and mage. These three paths are represented by the following three talent trees within the game, each unlocking special abilities with a select group of weapons:
- Might - Unlocks special abilities with longsword, shortsword and hammers.
- Finesse - Unlocks special abilities with dagger, faeblades and longbow.
- Sorcery - Unlocks special abilities with staff, sceptre and chakrams.
The combat is based on timing and combos along with changing weapons on the fly and chaining melee with battle magic. Timing moves right can juggle enemies, which can lead to stunned enemies where players can pull off finishing moves using quick time events, called Fate Shift Kills. Parry and dodging are also possible and can leave enemies vulnerable to longer juggle combos. Certain passive bonuses also damage enemies on dodge and inflict special effects like freeze, poison or fire.
Being a RPG, picking up loot is an important part of character development and will improve magic and weapon fighting abilities. Socketing gems into weapons is also possible for example, inserting a magical fire gem into a long sword will create a flaming sword. Players can also break down weapons and use the resulting ingredients to create better weapons.
- Alchemy - Grants players the ability to harvest reagents and create potions. More points increases the chance of successfully harvesting reagents.
- Blacksmithing - Allows players to repair their own weapons and equipment, as well as forge new ones. It also increases the effectiveness of repair kits.
- Detect Hidden - Gives players an increased chance of finding treasures and detecting traps, ambushes and secret doors. It also increases the amount of gold found while exploring.
- Dispelling - Allows players to dispel harmful magical spells and wards/locks without taking damage. More points in this tree increase its effectiveness.
- Lockpicking - Provides mastery over mechanical locks. More points increase its effectiveness.
- Mercantile - Improves the character's bargaining skill, allowing them to sell at higher price point while buying for less.
- Persuasion - Increases the character's odd of talking out of any situation.
- Stealth - Grants players the ability to stay hidden and pickpocket others.